Monday, October 19, 2009

Skip It

RVBR 'cross team kit finally arrived - killer design! I love it!

First of all - congrats to my RVBR teammates who raced at Carpentersville yesterday. Way to go, guys! Thanks to all of my teammates who came out last night to kill some time at Village Tap - it was good to meet you and I'm looking forward to seeing you all at the races. Most of all, thanks to Alex and Lesley from RVB for supporting the team - you guys rock!

Didn't race this past weekend - the Jeep was sick with a dead battery and my racing partner in crime was hurting so I opted for the 'double Judson.' Saturday was a day for full fenders and Sunday turned out to be really nice, though the temp at go time was in the low 30s. It was an especially important weekend in the sense that it marked the last time we'll get to ride with Ted as he's moving to Florida at the end of the week. I will miss him, his sense of humor and the pain he so happily dished out on the ride. I've already claimed a week or so of time to live in his screen porch when the weather gets really sucky here.

I've spent the last few weeks trying to be mellow, riding for fun and remembering what it's like to not be consumed by power numbers and mileage. It's been liberating but at the same time boring in a way. 'Cross is a good substitute to some degree but I'm feeling like I'll be ready to get back to work in a few weeks. After all, the holidays will pass and January will be here before I know it. Until then I'll bomb around at the occasional 'cross race (bandit and sanctioned) and the weekend group ride.

I've been reading 'A Clockwork Orange' by Anthony Burgess. Interesting indeed - I'm learning a whole new language and getting a fine introduction to 'ultra-violence.' Not sure when I'll get a chance to post again so I'll send wishes of good luck to Wakes now - he's heading to Louisville for the USGP next weekend. Go get 'em Mike!!