Sunday, March 16, 2008

Day 1 - Wayah Bald - The Steep Way

Heading back to Nantahala Outdoor Center at the end of today's ride

Our loop today departed from the Nantahala Outdoor Center and took us up and down the mountains for a total of 70 miles. When Kristin, Jessi, Rachel, Yvonne and I rolled out a little after 10:30 this morning the sun was shining and the temp was in the mid-50s. I have to admit that I was a little nervous - as we all well know, climbing is not my forte so suffering up the mountains isn't always my favorite thing to do. We ended up spending about 4hr in the saddle and had a really fabulous ride - the scenery isn't breathtaking at this time of year but it's certainly cool to descend at speed on mountain roads that run parallel to rolling rapids and through secluded valleys. I don't miss the buses, cabs and potholes of Chicago at the moment.

I have to extend congrats to Ansgar and Mike for representing in Kenosha today - Ansgar won and Mike finished 5th in the 40+ race. I don't recall how they finished in the 30+ race at the moment but I'll update this post when I get that info. Nice job guys!!