Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Spring Break Observations and Other Things

Winter unicycle training...the new way to develop a monstrous sprint

Now that I've re-entered my pre-spring break life and routine I've had a chance to sort of review my experiences and come up with a list of observations made with regard to the trip, coming home and various other things. Some are funny, some not so much but they're all things that have occurred to me, just the same.

* Drivers in Chicago are still malicious assholes. I was so hoping that wouldn't be the case but I've been disappointed yet again!
* It's still not spring in the Midwest. It might never be.
* My nearly 10 year old Jeep Wrangler can still go above 90mph without incident though I will say that's not something I care to investigate on a regular basis.
* Elite male bike racers can eat ASTOUNDING quantities of food.
* Southwestern North Carolina is an amazing place that demands a return visit at some point.
* Competitive kayakers are freakishly strong and skilled.
* You should try to finish an entire GU before returning the wrapper to your jersey pocket unless you enjoy having annoying stickiness all over your stuff.
* It appears that adult bookstores and ultra-mega super born-again Christian churches can peaceably co-exist as neighbors.
* Fierce melon Gatorade needs to be introduced to southwestern North Carolina.
* There remains a place in this day and age where radio stations are devoted entirely to the broadcast of bluegrass music. I am indeed a music junkie but I can't handle that.
* Descending a mountainside at nearly 50mph provides an intoxicating rush that I cannot duplicate at home. That might be a cool thing to try on a tandem or fixed gear sometime.
* There are still enormous potholes all over the place in Chicago.
* "Oil" by Upton Sinclair is a really fantastic read (yes, I know the title of a book should be underlined but blogger doesn't provide that option).
* If I ingest a massive quantity of Bonine (meclizine) beforehand I can conquer the Tail of the Dragon without feeling like I'm gonna hurl.
* My teammate Kat Clark missed her calling and should be a comedian. She's hysterical.
* A confederate flag can be an appropriate house/trailer warming gift in some instances (like, in North Carolina).
* Did I mention that Chicago drivers are still malicious assholes? They are, just in case you missed that one.

Not much more to share at the moment. I'm taking it easy on the bike for a few days then it's back to work preparing to race. Thanks for reading - it's good to be home even though the weather still sucks.