Saturday, March 22, 2008

Last Day, Best Day

Check out the Flag over my bike...oh yeah....
(thanks to Kristin for the photo)
This was our last day of riding here in southwestern North Carolina before heading back to the cold, snowy Midwest. After a long, slow get-up we loaded up the bikes and drove over to Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC) to spectate at the kayak races before rolling out on a 4+hr ride through the mountains. It was sort of cold in the morning but things warmed up nicely by ride time - enough in fact that I was able to go out with only armwarmers and removed them within 10min. I do indeed have tan lines, thank you very much.

Jessi, Kristin, Kat, Rachel and I rode along the river for a while before heading inland to do the 45ish minute Junaluska climb then back toward NOC on Wayah, up Winding Stairs and back down on 19 to our departure point. Everyone pretty much agreed that this was a most excellent ride - weather was perfect, scenery was fantastic and our route was just long enough. I didn't hit anything close to 50mph but that's okay - I had a good day on the bike and felt like I climbed pretty well, for a 'sprinter,' or whatever I am.

We stopped for an early dinner (I won't divulge what I ate because it was just plain bad and wrong in every way) and headed back to the cabin for showers, a final load of laundry and some relaxation before we leave early tomorrow morning.