Monday, March 17, 2008

Day 2 - Stecoah Gap


Kristin and I before rolling out
After a long, slow get up this morning, we rolled out from our secluded mountain retreat for an approximately 50mi loop that took us to the top of Stecoah Gap which stands at about 3200ft of elevation. Weather was nearly perfect - upper 50s and sunny with a little wind but nothing too bad. Mary, Kristin, Jessi, Rachel and I shared the work and had a really good day in the saddle. We were sort of tired from yesterday so things stayed pretty mellow except for the descending....I just missed hitting 50mph on the ride down to Robbinsville.

I got sucked into cooking duty this evening so I downed a bottle of Guinness not just to celebrate St. Patrick's Day but also to help me tolerate the abuse that was thrown at me by my teammates. I don't like to cook - I do it rarely and only under duress. Jessi was kind enough to photograph me hard at work in the kitchen, half intoxicated. I am a serious lightweight when it comes to alcohol consumption - so much in fact that I truly am a non-drinker but for the occasional hit. I'll post the pic once Jessi sends it over.

The plan for tomorrow is to climb the front side of Wayah Bald. Mary informed me that we'll have some company on the ride tomorrow - John and Scott from Cincinnati are here!! This is both good and bad - the opportunity to watch man-butt on the ride is always good. The fact that the last time I saw John (back in September) he kept feeding me shots isn't necessarily good...

Thanks for reading - I have to post pictures from today's ride retrospectively as blogger's upload function is painfully slow at the moment.