Friday, February 13, 2009

Perfect?

Eddie

Anyone who knows me well is familiar with my feelings about perfection - the 'perfect' designation is not something I give freely so if I say something is perfect, consider it to be a rare occasion. For lots of reasons music is a huge part of my life - not just because my job depends on it but also because it has the ability to communicate emotion and feeling beyond what I am capable of expressing. It can alter mood, behavior and feeling and transcend barriers - I would truly be lost without music in my life.

Yep - I was indeed a 'band fag' back in high school but wasn't treated like a typical band geek because I was a multiple-sport starting athlete. Trust me, I wasn't a great musician but I learned a ton and developed a deep appreciation for all genres of music (except for maybe country - and western, polka (Polish or Latin), soul, hip-hop and rap...sorry). I can easily listen to a classical piece by Silvestre Revueltas and follow it up with some Slayer without a second thought.

So, following up on a previous blog comment, I asked the spinheads for their input into my "most perfect albums" list. I got some good feedback and have gone ahead and listed some of it below. Feel free to make recommendations and if you are too shy to comment, send me an email. These are not in any particular order, just a random brain ramble. I can pretty much listen to any of these start to finish and skip nothing:

10 - Pearl Jam (but of course)
Synchronicity - The Police
1984 - Van Halen
Back in Black - AC/DC
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
IV - Led Zeppelin (then again, everything Zep is perfect)
Dookie - Green Day
Live at Fillmore East - The Allman Brothers Band
Odelay - Beck
Audio - Blue Man Group
Strange Brew - Cream
Who's Next - The Who
Are You Experienced - Jimi Hendrix
Metallica - Kill 'em All
Substance Disc 1 - New Order
Nevermind - Nirvana
Frampton Comes Alive - Peter Frampton
Eponymous - R.E.M. (Green is a close second)
Sitcky Fingers or Let it Bleed - The Rolling Stones
Chronicles - Rush
Full Moon Fever - Tom Petty
U2 - The Joshua Tree
Eliminator - ZZ Top

What else? Speak up or never be heard....