Tuesday, February 24, 2009

PHAT Tuesday

That darn paczki keeps making it's way onto my Fat Tuesday post every year...
Fat Tuesday has no religious connotation to me whatsoever - my lifetime quota of time spent in church and on religious endeavors was achieved many years ago. I like to look at it as more of a day to think about all the 'bad for you' food that I love but never eat as doing so would cause said calories to end up taking permanent residence in my ass. Over the last few days I've had discussions with friends about which two 'bad for you' items they would like to be able to eat in any quantity forever without repercussion - makes for good small talk, right? Here's a random smattering from both men and women, all generalizations as there are so many varieties of each:

* hamburgers
* pizza
* chocolate
* cheese
* ice cream
* french fries
* anything deep fried in duck fat
* cake
* beer
* pop tarts - also known to me as crack tarts - just can't have these in the house...
* peanut butter and jelly on white bread
* hot dogs - totally gross but oh so good...one of those things about which the origins need to be ignored while eating
* prime rib
* guacamole
* cookies (any kind)
* BBQ ribs
* macaroni and cheese (the real way - not out of the box)
* authentic Mexican food

Though I don't identify with the whole Lent thing, I can definitely go with the whole sacrifice/give-up something for 40 days in effort to feel the pain of my Catholic brethren. I tried to not cuss last year and we all know what happened with that. So I'm going to try something much easier - no PBJ and no cold cereal, period. I think that's quite enough. Hopefully I won't develop the shakes.

With that in mind, here's today's playlist for class - 6X3min Vo2 efforts:

Fire Woman - The Cult
See a Little Light - Bob Mould
Fall Back Down - Rancid
C'Mon Everybody - The Chevelles
Do You Wanna Dance - The Ramones
Why Go - Pearl Jam
Call in the Cavalry - The Shys
Someday - The Strokes
Stairway to Heaven - Me First and the Gimme Gimmes
Sick City Sometimes - Buzzcocks
Only the Good Die Young - Me First and the Gimme Gimmes
That Great Love Sound - The Ravonettes
What Keeps Your Heart Beatin'? - The Rattlers
(What Do I) Do Right? - Jimmie's Chicken Shack
Riders on the Storm - The Doors

Just finished 'Hell's Angels' - it was fascinating and a fast read. I've started 'An Idiot for All Seasons' by David Feherty and will pick back up on the Goodwin book in a few days. After a week of bike hate I'm back to work and feeling good. Winter started early for us this year so right about now would normally be (4 months of crap weather) time to be outdoors more and it's just not happening yet. I had a little meltdown/submission week and now I'm all good. As my friend Jimmy said this morning, "sometimes you need to go to the zoo." Well said.

Almost forgot - congrats to the PACT/Dishnetwork boys on their fine performances at the indoor TT last weekend. Ted, Jim and Dan - way to represent!